In recent times the #Jaagore or #PowerOf49 campaign has gained steam in India. With the general election, 2014 round the corner feminists have wonderfully pulled together their strings to concentrate all attention for their cause or rather to themselves. Tata Tea didn’t let this chance go out of their hand to promote their brand. So they have taken a unique strategy to use this opportunity and Indian women to promote their own brand with CNN-IBN as the media partner.
The focus of this article is Domestic Violence (the complete DV ACT here)
In a recent discussion on CNN-IBN featuring Shabana Azmi, Flavia Agnes, and Rashmi Anand –
This channel wanted to showcase the issue of domestic violence against women and urged everyone to speak up.
This Jaagore campaign specifically demanded the following from each political party in order to get into power –
- A politician with a clean record – without any record of dowry demand.
- Promote awareness of women’s rights on property and housing – parental as well as husband’s property.
- Support system for survivors of domestic violence
- Support system for sexually abused children
- Severe punishment for female foeticide
If we hear the entire conversations in the discussion we will have an impression that men in the family are more abusive and women are the sufferers. Even though the discussion was on domestic violence it touched upon topics like dowry, dowry death etc.
Let’s look at the detailed discussion and how that has taken us to a completely different direction –
Punishment for domestic violence as shown on JaagoRe site
(please let me know if you find this punishment in the actual ACT)
Rashmi Anand who claimed that she is a survivor of domestic violence and her child developed learning disability due to domestic abuse is actually fooling everyone. If you have ever seen the movie Taare Zameen Par that was on the same subject you will know what I mean. Learning disability is something that any person even in normal families can have and there is no particular explanation that can be given for this disorder.
The channel while discussing abuse in Domestic scenario simply switches over to other topics like dowry and dowry death cases that consist of 50% of crimes against women. We all know that 98% of such cases are actually law abuse. In fact, many readers of this article might have been subjected to such misuse in their life as well.
Note the statistics show in a discussion of domestic violence includes dowry and dowry death cases. Whereas these are treated under different sections of Indian law.
Regarding Dowry Death even though Flavia explained the DV Act, she did not clarify that in most such cases the death may not be for dowry demand. In fact, in one such case, SC has ordered the prosecution to establish cruelty under Dowry Death law first. This was the case where the woman committed suicide after her own parents tried to separate her from her husband. This was still recorded as dowry death and gone up to the Supreme Court for trial. You will get more information on dowry death with the related RTI here -(Read – Dowry Death and Bride-Burning in India).
The Jaagore panelists complained of police inaction etc and claimed that anything other than dowry case is not taken seriously by police. Let’s take a look at the benefits given to women under domestic violence law (read the law here. Chapter III, page 4) –
- State appoints a protection officer at state’s cost (taxes paid mostly by men) to protect the woman.
- Any person can give information on domestic violence to the protection officer and no civil or criminal liability shall be incurred on the person (so it may be even false or fabricated for personal gain).
- Duties of police officer or magistrate are also defined
- Duties of shelter homes, medical facilities etc to provide free services
- Service Providers can record the complaint and forward the same to the magistrate, do a medical checkup, get shelter home for the person. There CAN NOT be any legal suit against such providers.
- Legal notice to be served by the protection officer (at state’s expenditure). Remember men do not have this facility, rather they pay taxes to carry on these activities against them.
- Counseling of petitioner and respondent either singly or jointly by the judge or service provider (in most of these sessions husbands are threatened and extorted by the service providers).
- Women get the assistance of welfare experts
- If needed the proceedings can be held in camera.
- Right to reside in husband’s shared household. So the husband and his family members may be asked to get out of their own home under this provision.
- Restraining orders to the accused from coming near to the victim. (so the husband and family members are thrown out of their own home)
- Respondent to pay monetary relief for any reason he deems fit. So even if the complaint is a false monetary relief is granted.
- Copy of the order to be given free of cost to the woman while the husband pays for it.
- Custody order goes to the woman while the husband pays money
- Interim maintenance and ex-parte orders given against the husband. So the magistrate may not listen to the husband while giving interim maintenance order under this section.
After reading these provisions yourself, do you really think the panelists’ claim on Domestic violence has any ground?
Flavia and later Shabana Azmi too said that women need to get property rights in their father’s property. This is something Men’s Rights Activist Swarup Sarkar has been demanding for last several years in all national debates on IRBM. Feminists like Flavia have always claimed that women do not claim that property and hence they needed husband’s property. However, today they have just reiterated the point made by Men’s Rights Activists only.
In this discussion we also find actor Khushboo urging women to have zero tolerance for violence and saying “even women can get angry, turn around and hit a man”. But when it comes to punishment of such abusive women these women never talked about punishing such women. Unfortunately, in other debates, they have never agreed to that form of violence as well. We understand feminist double standard here.
Channel’s claim that India’s sex ratio plummets to the lowest level in the world conveniently avoided to check the real census data that shows the percentage increase in 0-6 yrs girls have been more than percentage increase in boys between the same period (read – Census 2011: Number of women are increasing at faster rate than the number of men in India.). This is how feminists and even popular media channels like CNN-IBN create illusion and falsehood.
The more shocking revelation comes when the anchor of the program tells outright lie and states the findings of 2007 study by WCD ministry on child abuse, and shows that fathers or other male members of the family abusing the children mostly. Whereas the same study shows that children suffer abuses mostly in the hands of their mothers. Let’s look at some of the shocking graphs from the same WCD report (find the whole report here) that exposes the lies of CNN-IBN and the panelists –
Refer to – page 37 of the report
Refer to – Page 37 of the report
If more boys are in conflict with the law then who do you think are subjected to greater abuse in childhood?
Page 39 of the report
What does it mean that more boys are on streets? Aren’t they the most abused lot?
The panelists lied in the show that mostly children suffer abuses from their fathers or other male members. See this –
Refer to page 47 of the report
Refer to page 55 of the report
Refer to page 56
The discussion shows a case from Gujrat where they claim that the father had been raping the elder girl for years and then switched to the younger girl. The younger girl filed a complaint with police and when this case was highlighted on CNN-IBN the girl withdrew the case.
This is very hard to believe especially when we have very strict laws for rape, one channel like CNN-IBN taking up the cause, we have women police stations, state women commission and a ministry for them and innumerable laws and institutions helping women in India. This is also hard to believe especially when the man in question has no law, legal institution or commission or ministry in his favor. Above all, he had a media channel like CNN-IBN against him, a media that can expose even powerful ministers and lawmakers.
Now based on the panel discussion on the #Jagore site, if you think more girls suffer sexual abuse as shown in the show, you will be wrong. See this shocking stats provided in the same WCD report –
Refer to page 75
Now refer to page 77 of the report and see the shocking stats of percentage of boys and girls facing one or more severe forms of sexual abuse. You will be shocked to find that 23.06% boys reported such severe forms of sexual abuse compared to only 18.58 percent girls. Even on page 79 in other forms of sexual abuse, we find boys suffering more than the girls. These statistics expose shameless lies of personalities like Flavia, Shabana or the channel CNN-IBN so badly that we fail to recognize them as human beings as they have projected a completely false picture of domestic abuse of children.
Even boys are more exposed to porn in their childhood –
Refer to page 94
In another shocking revelation on emotional abuse of children through humiliation a hopping 51.02% boys reported emotional abuse compared to 48.98% girls (refer to page 108)
In fact the above graphs presented from the same report that the channel quoted exposes the channel and cruel feminists who not only have no knowledge of the subject they were giving expert opinion about but they have confirmed yet again that they can only be the cruellest form of mother who can create so much hatred for little boys that the boys are hated even in the womb.
What is more shocking is to find a channel like CNN-IBN and a revered brand like Tata Tea is associated with a campaign of liars that can only destroy the balance in our society and suppress the real form of genocide. “The male genocide”.
Is it enough that you hate these liars – the people, the channel or the brands associated? That will not stop them from spreading lies in all forms. You need to demand punishment for these liars to project their biased views. You need to boycott the #PowerOf49 campaign, Tata Tea brand, and the brand CNN-IBN.
If you understand the danger in line for our future generation in the hands of feminists like these, share this in all your networks and demand punishment for the liars.
Related Articles –