Should marital rape be criminalized as ‘rape is a rape is a rape’.
Well, it may be good to proclaim that ‘rape is a rape’ when a poor person like Dhananjay Chatterjee is falsely accused, but not when people see them as falsely accused in a rape case. There are two major problems –
- The husband loses his life and liberty based on whims of his wife. Indian women have already shown how they can file false cases in greed and in revenge.
- Rape becomes a frivolous crime as upon marriage every man becomes a rapist.
India has overwhelmingly rejected the concept of criminalizing marital rape. Shown below are the Twitter survey results from different media and feminist sources –
- Indian Express poll – undecided
Readers were clearly divided without any decision.
- Times of India
Readers agreed that Marital Rape can’t be a criminal offence in Indian context
- Swarajya – 74% said no to criminalization
- Bollywood News – 56% agreed with govt stand of non criminalization of marital rape
- Polls Unlimited – 52% agreed with govt stand
- Hindustan Times – They claimed that people rejected govt. stand, but no evidence of that
Hindustan Times published this graph as the result of their poll in their newspaper –
But this graph can also be separately made and does not confirm that the poll result was really this. When we checked their original poll link we did not find any poll –
This shows that the actual result could have been different, so they had removed the original poll and produced only a graph that can be made separately.
Polls By Feminists
- Rita Banerjee, a well-known feminist activist campaigning for criminalization of marital rape, conducted a ‘woman only’ poll on the topic -–
In her poll, she made women assume that they are raped by their husbands. Women broke the myth that they don’t go to the police / court and complain if they are raped. 59% women voters said, they will go to court and complain. 76% said they would leave their husband. Only 16% said they would not complain and stay with their husband.
Rita Banerjee’s poll breaks the feminist myth that women don’t go to police and raise complaint. 59% women said they will take their husband to court.
- Priyanka (who claims to be a feminist in her Twitter profile)
She first created a poll on criminalization of marital rape where 61% respondents said they didn’t want criminalization. Upon seeing that she had lost on her stand, she immediately deleted that poll –
Then she created one more survey on this and again people said, they didn’t want marital rape to be criminalized. In fact, even with gender neutral laws, India rejected the option of getting criminal laws into our bedrooms –
A documentary film maker Deepika Bhardwaj has created a survey on the same, and the results were against criminalizing Marital rape. It is important to note that even with misuse clause India rejected this law –
MRA Poll –
MRA Amit Deshpande ran a poll on this matter and found India rejecting a rape case in family bedrooms –
There is no poll that satisfactorily shows that India wants rape law to be introduced in our bed rooms. This shows how some evil forces are behind breaking our family system. If the court criminalizes Marital Rape, that will not only be against the wishes of this society, but will be the start of breaking of our country.