On November 23rd, 2016, Himani Jain a Mumbai girl who took an Uber share ride with another woman Gayatri (Himani changed the name) she found Gayatri to be extremely abusive towards the driver. The driver was extremely polite and courteous and the woman was using all abuses. So Himani came forward to the rescue of the driver gave her number to cops and gave statements of the woman co-passenger being abusive. Her Facebook post given below has the detailed account of the incident.
In her post, Himani said, –
“Happened with me yesterday
I took Uber Pool to home from office yesterday. The driver, Shahid (Name changed), was very polite and well behaved. I was sharing cab with a lady, Gayatri (Name changed), who was probably in her late thirties. She got into the cab and within a minute she started arguing with Shahid about the drop. He explained her politely that it doesn’t matter, he will drop according to the App to the provided address and she can’t choose the route.
Gayatri started speaking to Shahid in extremely derogatory tone. She said (shouted) that she is not new to Uber and he is too stupid understand her question. Gayatri used words like dumb, Ch***ya, MC, BC, “I will slap you”etc. Shahid kept calm and asked her if he should start the trip. I asked Gayatri to stay calm and explained that there is a miscommunication between you and Shahid, and I will explain him. By this time she lost her cool completely and asked Shahid to come to police station and asked me to join her in her complaint. When I disagreed she started verbally abusing me as well. Shahid ended my trip, apologized for the inconvenience and asked me to take another ride home.
While all this drama was happening 20 odd people and two security ladies gathered around our cab. I gave my number to security lady so that they can contact me in case police trouble Shahid. Meanwhile, both Gayatri and Shahid had already dialed 100 and cops came in no time. I explained them the situation, gave my number to the police as well in case they want my statement in favour of Shahid. When I was about to leave, the security Lady came to me and said “Madam, please jao na police station, wo maar daalenge isko. Ladies ka case hai toh iska koi nahi sunega”. Though it was already 9pm and I was scared to go to police station(first experience), I didn’t feel like leaving him in that situation so I decided to go police station along with them. And the funny part is that when Gayatri was explaining all this ruckus to the Constable, he asked “madam where is the problem”. When she saw nothing happening her way, she made false accusations against Shahid of verbally abusing her and asking her to get out of the car and asked them to lodge an FIR against him.
I gave my statement to the police and told them that neither I am related to Shahid nor Gayatri and I had no reason to come here. I came here to support Shahid who is completely innocent in this case. She did not leave police station till 11pm. Gayatri demanded that the driver should apologize her and touch her feet as a part of apology. Apparently she wanted to teach him a lesson. I stayed there till she left the police station. I spoke to the police and fortunately, they understood the situation. They placated her that they will take action against him and asked her to leave. Meanwhile they took Shahid to a room and I could hear sounds of someone getting beaten up. I ran to the Constable and I said there is no mistake of him. To my surprise, they were beating the floor with the belt and Shahid was just making noises with a smile. I don’t know if it was right or wrong but I felt happy. Cop came and thanked me for standing up for Shahid otherwise it would have been a disaster for the driver. I felt contended. I called Shahid after an hour of reaching home. He is sound and safe. 🙂
Thanks to Mumbai police for understanding.“
Naturally, the whole nation came forward to express their gratitude to Himani saying how great a work she had done. Indiatimes took up the story and made Himani a hero and bestowed more power to her and I am surprised why.
When a woman comes forward tells the truth she is not only applauded but raised to god-like status for no reason. It is as if for showing correct human values she is being raised to an elevated status by the society.
Let’s consider another similar case that happened on August 23, 2015, in Delhi. Jasleen Kaur an AAP activist sought to instant fame by accusing Saravjith Singh Bedi of misbehavior while an eyewitness Mr. Biswajeet came forward with the truth and went to all media with the truth. No one, absolutely no one noted the noble deed of Mr. Biswajit and Indiatimes did not write any article on him at that time.
So, why is Himani exposing Gayatri should be special in any manner? Some people may say that being a girl it was a brave act but I don’t consider this as any great act and consider this only a humane act and nothing else. She should have done this without fail for her own sake and here is why she should not be lauded for this –
- If Himani chose to keep mum on this matter, (which she could hardly do with progressing police investigation as police would have traced her even without her giving her number voluntarily) she would have taken men one step closer to hating women. That act of hers would have ensured more men and cab drivers raising their voice.
- Himani needed to come forward voluntarily as without that act women like hers would have been considered same as those like Gayatri and for keeping them separate from those criminals, women like Himani need to come forward. They don’t have a choice and certainly, there is no greatness in that.
In fact, I feel she didn’t do enough in this case for the following reasons –
- Himani did not reveal the real name of the culprit and changed her name to Gayatri. Why did she have to hide the name of a real criminal? It was in a way protecting the identity of a criminal and giving her another chance to do the same later. So Himani’s act is not noble.
- Himani only gave her number to the driver and offered help. She only tried to explain to Gayatri and did not do anything else. On the other hand, if two guys were travelling and one was abusive, the other would have started an altercation with that fellow. Giving phone number would have followed anyway. So, I don’t think Himani did enough to put a criminal in her place.
- She did not press police to file a strong criminal complaint against Gayatri. She would have done the same if the criminal was a guy. So in this case too she showed a soft corner for a criminal and gender bias and her effort should not be lauded.
It is really surprising how a woman is elevated to greatness simply for showing human values. If this continues very soon we need to thank everyone for being human, for telling truth, for not creating a public disturbance, for not committing crime, rape, murder etc. It is time that Himani and women like her should know that it is in their best interest they need to not only speak against women criminals but press for their harshest punishment as men have been doing the same for ages to show that ‘Not all men are the same’.
A 2021 incident involving a Bengaluru woman abusing a Zomato delivery executive has seen similar unnecessary expletives used by the woman. When feminists and women were attacked for their shameful behaviour, feminists were quick to defend feminism but they were exposed using their own theories –