Feminists or the state in disguise of feminists have been using different psychological theories effectively to influence the behavior of common citizens.
Nudge theory is a method of influencing people’s decision making ability and behaviour by introducing some carelessly or cynically designed changes in the environment. This theory was developed in 2000 but popularized by US academics Thaler and Sunstein in 2008.
According to the authors – ‘human decision making is rather instinctive, emotional and subjective rather than logical, rational and objective’. This Nobel winning concept of nudging suggests that Human decision making can be influenced by the change managers, regulators, marketing managers or even the state for their desired outcome. By analyzing the heuristics of human decision making, the researchers have shown how humans can be influenced and that is how feminists and the state have been manipulating the mass decisions over the years.
The Theory of Heuristics
According to this theory, the heuristics of human decision making and how feminists are using them are explained below –
- Anchoring and Adjustment – Humans tend to use known facts to determine the unknown. This way feminists have been successful in showing only one-sided crimes-against-women by capturing media and created a situation where people know only about one-sided facts and have an understanding that only ‘Crime Against Women’ is a reality or a predominant phenomenon in India.
- Availability – Humans think the more common/visible/familiar something is, the more is the perceived frequency or incidence. the researchers even found that in most cases this is contrary to the fact. They found that this phenomenon strongly influences our perceived credibility and often influenced by mass media. When we see/hear something a lot, we question it less. Feminists have used this trait of our behavior effectively to create a rape hysteria in India. Any report of rape is widely publicized in all media but the false cases are not published or published in a small way. So, even though 75% of rape cases turn out to be false, India is known as a rape country by all.
- Representativeness – Similar things get perceived stereotype easily. This is how Delhi is termed as rape capital and after Delhi rape many thought of all Indian men as rapists.
- Optimistic/Over-Confidence – People underestimate costs, timescales, challenges and overestimate rewards. So don’t be surprised when the society demands the death penalty for rape cases without understanding that anyone can be implicated in such false rape cases anytime. Men demanding this kind of punishment suffer from over-confidence that they will never be accused falsely.
- Loss aversion – People value their possessions far more rather than something they have never possessed. So when crime against women is projected in a big way, men get worried about women in their house. Women get worried about their own safety. Since men are supposed to be protectors of women, this creates a sense of their personal loss. Thus a hype is created by the paranoid people. Since people don’t understand the importance until they possess something, mostly men do not understand the need for their own safety unless they get false cases.
- Framing – Our decision making can be influenced by positive/negative accentuation, juxtaposition, association to distort attractiveness or unattractiveness of something. So now you know how criminals like Devyani Khobragade or Khurshid Anwar is glorified by using social media by their followers. In similar situations, any common man is treated completely differently.
- Temptation – People are naturally biased towards short-term goals rather than long-term ones. They judge every incident with ‘what’s there in it for me‘ parameter. So when Delhi rape is projected as the only problem in India, people felt insecure and got carried away by harshest possible punishment for rapists. They forgot that Delhi rape was a combination of several crimes and any punishment/law change decided based on one incident is completely wrong. In terms of statistics, Delhi rape was a statistical outlier crime and shouldn’t have been the deciding factor of changing our laws, as outliers are always kept outside the purview of statistical analysis and decision making. One extremely cruel incident doesn’t mean that the frequency of that incidence is also high but everyone was made to believe it is.
- Mindlessness – People form views and decisions without concentrating or often neglecting. This encourages people to ignore real issues. We have seen how a more prominent issue like law misuse, is ignored by everyone including our courts in order to empower women.
- Confirming: Following the herd – The mob effect, fear of isolation, following the crowd, need of affirmation, avoiding risk/embarrassment, strength in numbers. This can be magnified by using the internet or related technologies. We find this tactic used in creating unnecessary hype after Delhi, Mumbai or Badaun rape cases.
- Priming – People/masses can be preconditioned by using several techniques to make them accept a change. Indian dowry law was passed by projecting one or two cases in a big way. Marital rape is also being tried in a similar way by projecting one under trial case as a widely happening phenomenon in India. UN survey saying 75% of Indian housewives are raped was also an attempt in the same direction.
- Feedback – This is an aspect of ‘choice architecture‘. People make/change their decisions based on feedback. So when they get an appreciation for working for women’s rights without looking into anything else. They tend to give bravery certificate to Rohtak Sisters and mock MRM effort of exposing the criminals until it became viral with numerous eyewitnesses. Only then these people have reversed their opinion.
This analysis shows how feminists are using the nudge theory used in change management to influence public opinion and bring mammoth changes.
Now that you know how you are manipulated, imagine there was an undo button in real life, where you could have changed a lot of those manipulations to bring sanity. You would have had a society where the crime was punished and not a gender. Now that it is not the case and since you are used by the feminists to create laws against yourself and your future generation, pray to god that you don’t go through the cruelty that some people are going through today. You wanted to punish rapists, now feminists have created a situation where any man can be termed as a rapist on divorce under Marital Rape.
Reference – Nudge Theory and Heuristics